Welcome to our blog! This is a place to share ideas, thoughts, concerns and joys of our faith journey. I'll be posting sporadically, but hope you will feel free to comment and join in the discussions.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Visual Barrage

So I was driving the same old boring route to the grocery store. Surrounded by tail lights and horns and barely missed bumpers. Something caught the corner of my eye, though. There! Off to the right! An enormous bird was flying away from the stream and stand of trees. It was a blue heron. It's "s" shaped neck tucked back, it's long legs streaming behind. It was beautiful and graceful. As I was savoring the moment of this flight brought to my eyes, I needed to come back to the traffic, lest I bump into someone who wouldn't appreciate my, well, appreciation of nature at that moment. The light turned red and I scanned the skies looking for the majestic outline, but instead I saw a huge jet making its approach to Philadelphia. It comes this way every day about the same time, so that in itself wasn't surprising. But the juxtaposition of the natural and man-made wonder of these two behemoths was stunning. I mean, I was uplifted for just a few moments. In awe of the bird taking flight and the mechanical bird crossing paths. And I was suddenly filled with gratefulness to have witnessed both things in almost the same breath. How awesome is our God and the world around us!

3 comments:

drbrowne said...

Yes, I agree that our God is awesome. Unfortunately it takes obscure events such as yours for us to realize God's presence around us. But I would be thankful for the opportunity to feel God's presence when I least expected it.
DB

hyo cynth said...

Oh, I'm so glad you posted a comment! Thanks so much! Sometimes I feel like I'm talking into the abyss!

Anonymous said...

A visual barrage? Such as the attrocity of cars that block the driveways on our street. Most of whom neither live hear or attend St. Marks Parish. Additionally when said [arents are approached to move they just shrug their shoulders or simply IGNORE the local residents of Oaklyn.