Welcome to our blog! This is a place to share ideas, thoughts, concerns and joys of our faith journey. I'll be posting sporadically, but hope you will feel free to comment and join in the discussions.

Monday, September 17, 2012

What Can You Do?

Now there's a question if ever you've heard one! There is someone in trouble..."What can I do?" You know the family of someone who passed away..."What can I do?" A bunch of people are having a pot luck dinner and you've been invited, but your cooking is atrocious..."What can I do?"

Is there ever a good response to this? Especially in the church? Depending on the church of course, the answer can always be, "something". Everyone can do something. Those spiritual gifts thing the bible talks about? They aren't a definitive list, you know. Everyone can do something. I know a woman who is tongue-tied whenever she tries to speak in public, but if you ask her to pray for you...WOW! She is a communicator like no other. I know someone else who cannot string two words (let alone thoughts) together in a written sentence, but she can crochet like a conductor of the Philharmonic, bringing together the strands of yarn in a pattern that would take your breath away. She gives these masterpieces away as gifts. I've met people who will look me in the eye and say they have no talent, but when they listen to me with their whole being, let me know I am a child of God and they love me no matter what, well, I hate to call them a liar to their face, but what talent they have in affirming me cannot be bought.

Everyone can do something. You may not be able to cook, but you can thank God you didn't have to if someone else does it. You may not be able to pray out loud in church on Sunday, but you can thank the person who does it for us so eloquently. You may not be able to come out on Wednesday evenings to join in the class and discussions, but you can ask about what was discussed via e-mail or even the next time you see someone you know attends to keep the discussion lively. You can smile and share it. You can listen without interruption. You can simply not judge the next time someone does something that you are quite sure you would never in a million years do, because you are not in their shoes.

So what can you do? Whatever you'd like, but remember do something!!

No comments: