Welcome to our blog! This is a place to share ideas, thoughts, concerns and joys of our faith journey. I'll be posting sporadically, but hope you will feel free to comment and join in the discussions.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Discipline and Discipleship

These two words are not usually intertwined. Discipline has sort of punitive overtones to it. You were disciplined, after all, if you did something bad as a kid. I remember my parents speaking of discipline as something that would not be a comfortable thing (especially in reference to the tracking of mud on the kitchen floor after it was just cleaned!). It wasn't until much later that I realized that discipline could be a good thing as well. Guiding myself along in a structured way had it's rewards. When you look up the word discipline it says this, "training that corrects, molds, or perfects the mental faculties or moral character." The first couple of definitions simply emphasize what I knew the word to mean growing up. But its this third definition that I want to link with the second word up there in the title.

Discipleship. This word comes before discipline in the dictionary--well at least the word disciple does. And that word is said to mean, "One who accepts and assists in spreading the doctrines of another: as in-one of the twelve in the inner circle of Christ's followers according to the Gospel accounts." So to mean a disciple was a bringer of good news (you know, Gospel). Whereas, discipline meant the bringing of bad news (retribution for muddy floors). They didn't seem compatible. Except upon closer inspection.

Being a Christian was never supposed to be easy. I think that's where I fall short today in my thinking. Christianity can be a pretty easy and lukewarm thing. If we say we are Christian, we can go to church on Sundays, we can occasionally say a prayer or two, but nothing much is felt to be required. We don't have to take a test, pay an initiation fee, or even think much about it, if we choose not to. And therein lies the problem. If our faith isn't something we have to work at, why work at all? We work hard for most everything else in our lives, we think. We work hard at work. We take care of our homes, our families, our car payments, our mortgage payments. We try to remember to take time out to exercise once in a while, it's exhausting. The one thing I don't want to have to do is work for my faith.

So what do I mean then? Do I mean standing on a street corner and shouting? I think what I'm talking about is somehow becoming more disciplined in my disciplining. Becoming more aware of what it means to be a Christian and then going about doing it. Not by thumping my Bible (or even beating my chest). But by being more conscious of what I am called to be and to do. Not by quoting verses (let's not forget the chapters as well?!), but by living the grace that is freely given to me and responding in joyous affirmation. Being mindful of being a Christian. That's what I mean. Being careful of where I put my sharp tongue. Being aware of where my feet are leading me. Asking God to be with me on the path, not to push me along, but assisting me in prayer and helping me to see the path before me, whichever one I take.

So here's the deal, next Sunday we're going to begin a discussion in the Adult Sunday School Class of what it means to be a disciplined disciple. There will be no stern lectures (at least not by me!), no wagging of fingers, no being sent to the corner without supper. But there hopefully will be good conversation about what it means to be a conscious believer and how to do that better. Will you join us?

No comments: