Welcome to our blog! This is a place to share ideas, thoughts, concerns and joys of our faith journey. I'll be posting sporadically, but hope you will feel free to comment and join in the discussions.

Monday, February 20, 2012

It's Astonishing, Really

I was lamenting somewhere else about the fact that every day seems to be like every other day lately. There were a few who argued with me and tried to get me to admit that each day was a miracle. They are the people who invariably see a rainbow in every rainstorm and see the beauty in the seventh snow of the season. I am not one of them. I probably never will be. But it is true that there is something completely amazing about the fact that the sun does come up every day and the moon comes out every night. The fact that I can put one foot in front of the other as I walk from my bedroom to the kitchen and even walk about my workplace. I have these wonderful digital devices in my ears which enable me to hear things that I would not be able to hear otherwise. Some inventive person thought up the device and I own them! It's marvelous really.

When we stop being so surprised by the everyday? When did the fact that babies are born and flowers come up every spring and rain falls from the sky stop being amazing and start being mundane? I think it started when we were growing up and we could take things for granted, things like sunshine and puppies and new mechanical devices.

And so this Lent, I'm going to try being aware and awake. Seeing the new and the old as something worthy of notice. I hope you will join me in rediscovering the miraculous of the everyday.

2 comments:

jks625 said...

It seems that we have gotten so busy in our everyday that we have forgotten to enjoy the simple beauty around us...and how it can ripple through our day at the memory.

hyo cynth said...

OH, JO! You commented! Thanks so much! I'm overjoyed to see you here. And of course, you would recognize the fact that beauty ripples all around us. You are so beautiful yourself.