Welcome to our blog! This is a place to share ideas, thoughts, concerns and joys of our faith journey. I'll be posting sporadically, but hope you will feel free to comment and join in the discussions.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Finding the time

The problem with things spiritual is this: they don't feel required. It doesn't feel like you have to take time out of your busy schedule to stop and pray or contemplate or commune with nature. No one, at least no one I'm acquainted with in my faith life, is threatening me with anything if I don't stop and pray, contemplate or commune. I can go days without realizing that I have not stopped to do these things. Lent is a season to make yourself stop. To become disciplined. To make time. My mother quoted me something she read during her devotions about coming to a speed bump and it made me realize that I do not have any speed bumps in place lately. I have repaved the roads and they are unimpeded until I feel like stopping. I'm not sure this is a good thing. In fact, I'm pretty sure it isn't a good thing. We need time to stop and reflect and yes, there's that word again, contemplate. Everyone needs to do this in one way or another. Even Jesus had to take some time out to talk to Dad once in a while. I'm going to try to build in some stopping places during Lent this year. Because I haven't done so yet, if you notice me zooming by, stick out your foot. I don't want to take a tumble, but perhaps I need to in order to remember who it is that gave me the energy to keep going. And keep me in your prayers, too. And watch out for stop signs and speed bumps.

No comments: