Welcome to our blog! This is a place to share ideas, thoughts, concerns and joys of our faith journey. I'll be posting sporadically, but hope you will feel free to comment and join in the discussions.

Saturday, December 31, 2016

There's a Kind of Hush

During the evening of the 24th we finished wrapping some presents. We pushed the cookie tin lids down tighter. We locked the doors and trudged up the stairs to bed. But I couldn't sleep. I was thinking. About a lot of things. I took my hearing aids out because I was going to go to bed, but then, well, I just wasn't quite ready yet. The house was hushed. True, even if it were slightly noisy; without the hearing aids in, I wouldn't know it. But our son commented on how quiet it was compared to where he is living these days.

The world is hushed. And waiting. Every year I feel anticipation for Christmas. Sometimes it's joyful and excited anticipation. Sometimes its anxious and almost nervous (especially if I haven't completed all that I wanted to do before the actual 25th). I felt like the world was waiting too. The air was colder and the dark seemed almost ominous. What would happen in the next 24 to 48 hours, I pondered? Will we come to the realization that God is among us? Will we take a deep breath and accept that the sun rose with God's good grace and not because we put it there? And would Christmas be all that we hoped it would be?

No comments: